Tuesday 16 August 2011

At the Forefront

At the very forefront of my practice were techniques like using Laser data in the form of LIDAR , making use of 3D environment generation applications like Eon's Vue, along with this there were few panorama projection techniques which required HDRI(High Dynamic Range Image) Photography and last but not the least there was the option of building the scene from the photographs and projecting them on 3D objects. As most of the above mentioned techniques are slightly costly and they require specific camera equipments and rigs. So I decided to make use of 3D projection techniques which has it's own merits and demerits which are mentioned below:


For individual project like this , in my opinion it becomes quite essential to prepare some pipeline or workflow to accomplish a task from start to the end. I remember the time during initial stages where I was stuck with a very well known debate of creating a projection based matte-painting through a 2.5D or 3D approach.  After learning about different options starting from simple photo-manipulation techniques to more accurate LIDAR map and panorama based matte-paintings , in my personal opinion I found, that for minor projects where the cost and  other resources like computer processing power are limitations, it is better to stay with the 2.5D solution. Although, techniques mentioned above produced more believable scene however, at the same instance for far distant or wide angle shots where the observer's distance is greater, one can still create realistic scenes while relying on 2.5D camera projection techniques. While thinking about the forefront of my practice for this project I wanted to make use of Eon's VUE as my environment generation tool, whose use is quite prominent in few of the Hollywood movies lately. This particular 3D application demands good computer configuration -for me- however, everything went well as I made my second matte-painting using VUE as my major software application and was quite satisfied with results. There is one more good reason why an individual doing independent projects should avoid using a 3D approach ,  which is more related to the unnatural look of the 3D scene and the amount of time involved in correction of the scene to look more realistic. Therefore to avoid unnecessary headache of excessive rendering time and keeping the date of deadline in mind I chose a 2.5D solution to develop rest of matte-paintings. Moreover, Projection-based  matte-painting techniques still being prominent in the field of films and Television commercials encouraged me to explore more about this technique. 

A small snapshot of my workflow can be found below:

No comments:

Post a Comment